Nashira Williams
March 28,2007
Blog #7
I spent some time with one of the prayer leaders of the church. In the service they have a time when the prayer team goes up to the front of the church or infront of the altar making themselves available to pray for anyone. Something I always wondered as I grew was whether or not it took something special to be a part of the prayer group in church and is a person gifted in prayer. I suppose people are because if people have a gift for preaching then they can surely have a gift of prayer. And that is excalty what she said; she felt that prayer was gift. Furthermore, she explained that she was so intrigued and very focused on prayer because it was emphasized in her home since she was little. One thing she emphasized was then neccesity of asking the Holy Spirit to direct the prayer before anything. In, additiion she said that you must be authoritve in your prayer believing every word you say and believing that God will move in the person you are praying for. And in conclusion of the prayer it is important to mention the name of Jesus ;He completes everything.
I proceded to ask the prayer leader what are the most common prayers and in response she said it mainly has to do with children and marraige. Most people pray for their children to follow the Lord and very often parents are praying for their children who are in the world.
She gave me some good pointers/advice:
1. We have to understand prayer is important because Jesus mandated it! Amen he did
2. We must pray without ceasing. It should be engrained in us.
3.Builds community, time for confession, and builds the body up. It is very therapeutic
In, conclusion I would be happy to go to the altar and have her pray for me.lol

3 Comments:
Nashira- I found your blog very interesting. I don't think I've ever been to a church that has someone up front ready to pray for people on a regular basis. That is neat concept, and it quite appropriate. It is a great way to get people involved in the church with their gift of prayer. I like how the leader told you that the prayer should conclude with Jesus because He completes everything. That is creative and appropriate. Keep up your work!
In His Strength,
Jenn Eckenroad
Hey Nashira. I agree wholeheartedly with you about people being called by God with the gift of prayer. I think I'm in that category. I love praying with others and over them. I agreed with all the things you wrote about praying, and some of them made me think about the way I pray. I especially like whay your prayer leader said about praying with authority. That is so important to prayer, and it's so true that God will answer a prayer prayed in faith, and with authority. Have a great week!
-John Whirledge
Nashira,
Thanks for your blog. It sounded like the person you were talking to really had a neat reverence for prayer. Prayer is such an important thing and I feel that it is too easily over looked. Reading your blog challenged me to make it more of a priority in my life. Hope your weekend goes well!
Mark Shepherd
Post a Comment
<< Home