Greeters/Impact Team
Thursday, March 15, 2007

Nashira Williams
March 16, 2007
Blog # 6

It was so insightful learning in debt the full role of a greeter. I sat down and talked with members of God's House and they explained to me how they became involved in the ministry. Surprisingly it wasn't quite the story I expected. There was no " I love meeting people" type of answer, but raher joining this ministry was an act of submission and obedience. They explained that greeting people was out of their comfort zone, which is hard to believe because as a couple they do a really good job. But this job has allowed them to grow and be more about serving others rather than satisfying their own wants and doing what is comfortable.

But in either case, their role is about making connections with people who are coming to church for the first time and just making a connection in general. Greeting is about making people feel comfortable because they may feel out of their element. They emphasized that is important to make people feel loved. They said there are two typical attitudes when entering church. The first being cold and "stand offish" and surprised and joyous. Greeting is about meeting these people and making sure that when they walk into church they are prepared to enter the Lord's presence without any worries,without feeling isolated or strange. Furthermore, you have to be intentional with people; greeting goes beyond Sunday and beyond shaking someone's hand or giving hugs. They emphasize learning people's names and showing an interest in learning about the people. They like to call people during the week just to see how they are doing, not to ask them about coming to church the next Sunday.

One thing they said that grabbed my attention was that everyone plays a role in the church community and making others feel comfortable or welcomed. They said we are a whole body.

1 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger markallen06 said...

Nashira,
Sounds like your practicum experience this week was a great one. It is neat to see how God uses people if they just submit to his calling, even in ways we might view as "little". Making people feel welcome into God's house is an important task. I am glad you had this experience. Hope your next one is just as insightful as this one!

In Him,

Mark Shepherd

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

PROFILE
Name Your Name
Gender Your Gender
Sign Your sign
DOB Your DOB

PREVIOUS POSTS
Nashira WilliamsMarch 2Blog # 4This week I spoke w...
Bullentin?
Nashira WilliamsFebruary 6 2007Post # 2This week I...
Praise and Worship
I am signed in